July 13, 2020
State awards $367,715 in Grant Funding for the Patapsco Valley Heritage Area
CONTACT: Lindsey Baker / email@example.com /410.696.1328
Executive Director, Patapsco Heritage Greenway
ELLICOTT CITY, MD—The Maryland Heritage Areas Authority (MHAA) announced matching grants totaling $367,715 for Patapsco Valley Heritage Area non-profits and local jurisdictions. The grant funds support heritage tourism projects and activities that draw visitors and expand economic development and tourism-related opportunities in the Patapsco Valley
Funded projects in the Patapsco Valley Heritage Area include:
- Howard County Conservancy, “Carriage House Adaptive ReUse”- $50,000
- Catonsville Rails to Trails, “The Catonsville Cycling Connection” -$50,000
- Friends of Patapsco Valley State Park, “Simpkins Industry Site, Park Infrastructure” – $75,000
- Chesapeake Conservancy, “Enhancing the Park Experience Through Bilingual Interpreters”- $50,000
- Patapsco Heritage Greenway, “Festival del Rio Patapsco” -$5,000
In addition, Patapsco Heritage Greenway received a management Grant for $100,000, a Block Grant for $25,000, and a Marketing Grant for $12,715. PHG’s Marketing Grant will be dedicated to promoting the sites within the Patapsco Valley Heritage Area, highlighting the heritage tourism opportunities available for visitors. All funds from the Block Grant will be used for mini-grants to Patapsco Valley Heritage Area partners and stakeholders.
The Hogan administration announced today that 114 matching grants totaling $5.1 million were awarded to Maryland nonprofits, local jurisdictions, and other heritage tourism organizations by the Maryland Heritage Areas Authority (MHAA). These FY21 funds support heritage tourism projects and activities that draw visitors and expand economic development and tourism-related job creation throughout Maryland.