The contest is open to any amateur or professional photographer except employees, former employees, Board Members, or Advisory Committee members of Patapsco Heritage Greenway and members of their immediate families.
- All photographs must be taken within the Patapsco Valley Heritage Area. SEE MAP
- To be eligible for any category, a photograph must have been shot by the entrant after January 1, 2016.
- Entries must be accompanied by a completed and signed paSNAPsco Contest Entry Form
- Entries may be either prints or digital images in color or in black and white.
- Images must be in landscape (horizontal) orientation to fit the format of our calendar.
- Each photograph must be adequately identified, as detailed below.
- A maximum of three (3) entries per photographer is allowed with all entries listed on a single Entry Form.
- DEADLINE: All entries must be postmarked no later than August 13, 2018.
(Deadline may be extended based on entries or weather.)
Submit entries by mail to
paSNAPsco Photo Contest | Patapsco Heritage Greenway |3748 Old Columbia Pike, Ellicott City, MD 21043
OR email to email@example.com
Questions ? : Contact Lindsey Baker at firstname.lastname@example.org
WHAT TO PHOTOGRAPH…
Entrants must place their photos in one of the five categories listed below. The judges reserve the right to re-categorize any entry
- STEP BACK … sites that showcase the unique history of the Patapsco Valley Heritage Area
- NATURE NURTURES … landscapes, waterscapes, wildlife, plants, the natural river and streams, the beauty of the seasons depicting the unique natural environment of the Patapsco Valley Heritage Area
- MAIN STREET MOMENTS … capture the streetscapes, festivals, shop windows and visitors to Catonsville and Ellicott City–two of the Patapsco Valley Heritage Area’s Main Streets.
- GET OUT!… people enjoying recreational activities, e.g., cycling, hiking, fishing, etc.
- A MUSE … performing and visual arts, experiencing arts and culture, arts festivals, cultural programs
- Prints must be 5 x 7 inches or 8 x 10 inches on photographic paper.
- Do not send matted, mounted or framed prints.
- Do not send negatives.
- The photographer’s name, and photograph title must be printed on a sticky note attached to the back of each print.
- Do not write directly on the print (front or back).
Digital Entries: Submit digital images on compact disk -OR- as a ZIP file emailed to email@example.com
- Multiple images must be submitted on a single disk.
- All images must be submitted as high-resolution JPEG or TIFF files.
- Each photo must be at least 8×10 (or 2400×3000) at 300 dpi and three (3) megabytes or larger. (updated 4/3/2018)
- Do not resample small files to fit requirements.
- Digital images can have minimal manipulation such as cropping and exposure adjustments, but no cutting and pasting or other advanced techniques that create end products that do not reflect the scene as it appeared in reality.
- The photographer’s name and “paSNAPsco 2018 Photo Contest” should be written directly on the compact disk.
- The file name of each image on the disk must match its entry number on the entry form (i.e. “Entry1.jpg” or “Entry2.tif”, etc.).
- Disks must contain only photographs submitted for the contest.
Photos containing recognizable people must be accompanied by a PHOTO RELEASE signed by the subject or a parent or legal guardian, if subject is under 18 years of age.
- Entries will be judged on the basis of creativity, photographic quality, and effectiveness in conveying the beauty and/or unique character of the Patapsco Valley Heritage Area within the contest categories.
- A panel will judge the entries and all contest decisions are final.
- One winner will be selected in each of the five categories identified above.
- One PATAPSCO FAVORITE will also be selected.
- A PEOPLE’s CHOICE award will also be selected via social media
- Honorable mentions will be awarded at the discretion of the judges.
- Winners will be announced approximately September 30, 2018
Winning Photos and Awards
The winning photographs with appropriate credit will appear in the Patapsco Valley Heritage Area’s 2019 paSNAPsco Calendar and on the Patapsco Heritage Greenway website. Winners will receive 5 copies of the calendar and cash prizes below:
- Patapsco Favorite – $200
- Category Winners – $100
- People’s Choice – $100
- Each photographer will retain all rights to any photograph submitted – including ownership if applicable – other than those rights licensed in the next sentence.
- By entering the contest, each photographer hereby grants to PHG a nonexclusive, worldwide, irrevocable, royalty-free license to reproduce, distribute, publicly display the photographs submitted to PHG, and (ii) the right to use the photographer’s name, city and state of residence in promotions and other publications.
- Photographs, regardless of medium, will not be returned. Do not send your only copy of a photograph.
- PHG is not responsible for any material lost, damaged, or misdirected in the mail.
The paSNAPsco Photo Contest is made possible through a generous grant from Maryland Heritage Area Authority